The articles and videos listed here are about programs and projects that were funded by the annual AARP Community Challenge, a "quick-action" grant program to make communities more livable for people of all ages.
This includes articles that describe the longer term impact that grantees have seen since implementing their projects.
Read more about the challenge, and find lists of all the grantees, by visiting AARP.org/CommunityChallenge.
- Alaska (Fairbanks): Storm Drains that Send a Message
- California (San Diego): Quiz: 10 Questions from the Age-Friendly Game 'Boomer.rology'
- Connecticut (Hartford): Raised-Bed Gardening
- Georgia (Macon-Bibb): How Chess Can Reconnect a Community
- Hawaii (Honolulu): 10 Tips for Making Businesses Friendlier to Kupuna (or Older Adults)
- Indiana (Fort Wayne): See an Example of a Complete Street
- Maine (Bowdoinham): Raised-Bed Gardening
- New Hampshire (state): New Hampshire Says Yes to ADUs
- Rhode Island (Jamestown): Growing Food So a Neighbor Can Eat
- Texas (Fort Worth): Neighbors Provide Many Helping Hands
- Washington, D.C. How a Party in the Streets Can Create a Community
- West Virginia(Charleston/Kanawha Valley): Neighbors Provide Many Helping Hands