If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.
En español | Just being “unhappy” with a Medicare Advantage plan doesn’t give you the right to switch plans, but there are certainly several time periods when you can legitimately change to another plan. These include:
• You receive Extra Help (the low-cost Part D prescription drug program for people with incomes under a certain level)
• You enter or leave a nursing home or other long-term care facility
• You lose coverage from Medicaid or a state program that pays your Medicare premiums
• You switch to a Medicare Advantage plan that has earned Medicare’s highest quality rating (five stars) if there is one in your area (you can switch any time of the year except for the first week of December)
• You move out of the plan’s service area
• The plan withdraws service from your area, leaves Medicare entirely, or closes down
• Medicare agrees with your complaint that the plan violated its contract with you, or that you were misled into joining the plan through fraud or erroneous or incomplete information
• Medicare agrees that a federal employee made a mistake when processing your enrollment in this plan.
Return to Medicare Q&A Tool main page >>
Enter address, city, state, or ZIP code.
Driver Safety (0)
Tax Aide (0)
Entertainment & Dining (0)
Healthcare & Insurance (0)
Financial Services & Insurance (0)
Member Local Offers (0)
Visit the AARP state page for information about events, news and resources near you.
You are leaving AARP.org and going to the website of our trusted provider. The provider’s terms, conditions and policies apply. Please return to AARP.org to learn more about other benefits.
Your email address is now confirmed.
Manage your email preferences and tell us which topics interest you so that we can prioritize the information you receive.
Explore all that AARP has to offer.
In the next 24 hours, you will receive an email to confirm your subscription to receive emails
related to AARP volunteering. Once you confirm that subscription, you will regularly
receive communications related to AARP volunteering. In the meantime, please feel free
to search for ways to make a difference in your community at