Skip to content

I'm receiving survivor benefits on my late husband's record. Can I switch to spousal benefits on my ex-husband's record?

En español | Yes, you can contact the Social Security Administration and notify them that you were married more than once and may qualify on more than one spouse's earnings record.

You will have to provide documents such as marriage and divorce certificates. SSA will be able to tell you which spouse's record provides the greatest Social Security benefit. If the ex-spouse provides a bigger payment, you will be allowed to switch from survivor benefits to ex-spouse benefits.

Published October 10, 2018