Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Skip to content
Content starts here
Leaving Website

You are now leaving and going to a website that is not operated by AARP. A different privacy policy and terms of service will apply.

How do I change my address with Social Security?


If you are receiving Social Security benefits or enrolled in Medicare, you can register a change of address through your online My Social Security account.

member card

AARP Membership — $12 for your first year when you sign up for Automatic Renewal

Get instant access to members-only products and hundreds of discounts, a free second membership, and a subscription to AARP The Magazine.

Join Now

After signing into your account, click the "My Profile" link on the right side of the screen, select "Update Contact Information" and enter your new address. You'll be able to choose whether you want the change to take effect immediately or at a later date. Review the information and, if correct, click "Submit."

You can also use My Social Security to change the phone number you have on file with the Social Security Administration (SSA). If you don't have an online account, report your new address or contact information by calling the SSA's national customer service line (800-772-1213) or calling or visiting your local Social Security office.

Local offices fully reopened April 7 after being closed to walk-in traffic for more than two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but Social Security recommends calling in advance and scheduling an appointment to avoid long waits.

Keep in mind

  • You must have a U.S. mailing address to use My Social Security.
  • If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you can use the online service to check your address on file with Social Security but not to change it. For that, you must contact the SSA directly.