Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Skip to content
Content starts here
Leaving Website

You are now leaving and going to a website that is not operated by AARP. A different privacy policy and terms of service will apply.

How to get a Social Security number

If you have a child in the United States, he or she can get a Social Security number (SSN) virtually at birth. At the hospital, while giving information for the birth certificate, you can simultaneously apply for the baby’s Social Security number. You'll be asked for both parents’ Social Security numbers, but if you don't have them you can still apply.

If you decide to wait until later, you'll need to fill out an SS-5, the application form for a Social Security card, and bring it to your local Social Security office along with:

  • At least two documents proving your child’s U.S. citizenship, age and identity. A birth certificate and passport will fully satisfy the requirements. For a list of other acceptable documents, see the Social Security pamphlet “Social Security Numbers for Children.”
  • Proof of your identity, such as a driver's license, passport or state-issued ID card.
spinner image Image Alt Attribute

AARP Membership— $12 for your first year when you sign up for Automatic Renewal

Get instant access to members-only products and hundreds of discounts, a free second membership, and a subscription to AARP the Magazine.

Join Now

All documents must be originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. Photocopies or notarized copies will not be accepted.

If the child is 12 or older, he or she must appear at a Social Security office for an interview. The Social Security Administration recommends calling in advance (800-772-1213) and scheduling an appointment to avoid long waits.

Non-U.S. citizens can get a Social Security number provided they are in the country legally. If you have permanent residency, you’ll be issued the same type of Social Security card that citizens get. You will need to show proof of identity and your authorization from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to live and work in the country.

Two types of limited Social Security numbers are available to noncitizens who do not have permanent residency:

  • If you have temporary permission to live and work in the United States, you can get a Social Security card stamped “valid for work only with DHS authorization."
  • If you do not plan to work but need a Social Security number for another reason — for example, to apply for government benefits or services — your card will be stamped "not valid for employment."

Incoming immigrants can apply for a Social Security number from their home country as part of the visa application process. If you are already in the United States, you will need to visit a Social Security office. The pamphlet “Social Security Numbers for Noncitizens” has more information on how, when and where to apply. 

Keep in mind

You can ask Social Security to assign you a new number under limited circumstances, for example if you are a victim of domestic violence or identify theft. You can only apply for a new number in person at a Social Security office. Contact your local office to schedule an appointment or learn more.

Discover AARP Members Only Access

Join AARP to Continue

Already a Member?