Skip to content

AARP Live shares tips on how to protect yourself before and after a natural disaster. Watch at 10 p.m. ET.


My child is currently receiving benefits on my record. When filing taxes, should I add his income to mine or should I file a separate tax form for him?

Benefits on a child's record will not be added to your income for tax purposes.  Taxes on a child's record would be based on their own provisional income.  If they are not working, normally, there will be no need to file a return because Social Security benefits alone are not enough to meet the taxation threshold. However, if they are working it is possible for benefits to be taxed. It is best to seek a tax advisor's advice for the optimal strategy in your particular situation.

Submit a Question to AARP Experts

Didn’t see the answer to your question? Help us improve the tool by submitting your Social Security question. Go

Join the Discussion

0 |

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.