Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Skip to content
Content starts here
Leaving Website

You are now leaving and going to a website that is not operated by AARP. A different privacy policy and terms of service will apply.

Do I have to pay FICA taxes on my earnings if I also collect Social Security?

Yes. There is no exemption for paying the Federal Insurance Contribution Act (FICA) payroll taxes that fund the Social Security and Medicare systems. As long as you work in a job that is covered by Social Security, FICA taxes will be withheld from your paycheck.

The same goes if you remain actively self-employed. If your annual net profit from your business is more than $400, you have to pay your share of Social Security and Medicare — as both employer and employee — via the Self-Employed Contributions Act (SECA) taxes you pay with your federal tax return.

spinner image Image Alt Attribute

AARP Membership— $12 for your first year when you sign up for Automatic Renewal

Get instant access to members-only products and hundreds of discounts, a free second membership, and a subscription to AARP the Magazine. Find out how much you could save in a year with a membership. Learn more.

Join Now

Keep in mind

Your work income could lower your benefit if you claimed Social Security before reaching full retirement age (66 and 6 months for people born in 1957 and gradually rising to 67 for those born in 1960 or later). That’s because early filers are subject to Social Security earnings limits, which trigger withholding from benefits if your income exceeds an annual cap (in 2024, it’s $22,320). 

Discover AARP Members Only Access

Join AARP to Continue

Already a Member?