Skip to content

Find out how to register, vote early, research a candidate and more in AARP's midterm election guide.


I've already begun taking Social Security benefits. Is there any way I can get the amount increased?

En español | You may be able to increase your benefits if you continue to work. Each year, the Social Security Administration reviews the records of all recipients who are employed. If your latest year of work is one of your highest earning 35 years, your benefit would be recalculated and you’d receive an increase. (But keep in mind that if you've taken your benefits before your full retirement age and are making more than the annual earnings cap, $17,040 for 2018, Social Security will reduce or eliminate your benefits until you reach your full retirement age.) If you've been taking benefits for less than a year, you are allowed to stop them, pay them back and restart them later at a higher level.

Join the Discussion

0 |

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.