Skip to content

How do I change from a Social Security survivor benefit to my Social Security retirement benefit?

En español | You will have to file an application to switch from survivor benefits on a late spouse’s work record to retirement benefits on your own record. You should apply four months before you want your retirement benefit to start.

You can file the application with a Social Security representative, either by telephone at 800-772-1213 or at your local office. If the latter, call the 800 number to schedule an appointment. [Editor’s note: The Social Security Administration temporarily closed local offices to the public on March 17, 2020, in response to the coronavirus threat. Social Security services remain available online and by phone. We will update this article when the field offices reopen.]

Switching makes sense if you earned more over the course of your working life than your late spouse, as your retirement payment would exceed the survivor benefit. But you may want to wait: You can maximize your benefits by continuing to receive survivor benefits and putting off claiming benefits on your own work record, as you can accrue delayed retirement credits that will increase your eventual monthly payment.   

If you are the widow or widower of a spouse who consistently earned more money than you, it doesn’t really matter when you switch to your own retirement benefit. Social Security will pay the higher amount — and in this case, the survivor benefit would be higher than your own retirement benefit.

Keep in mind

Updated March 17, 2020

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.