Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Skip to content
Content starts here
Leaving Website

You are now leaving and going to a website that is not operated by AARP. A different privacy policy and terms of service will apply.

How do I report the death of a Social Security beneficiary?

In most cases, funeral directors can report deaths to the Social Security Administration (SSA) as part of their client services; Social Security provides a form for this purpose. In addition, vital-statistics offices in most states have implemented Electronic Death Registration, a web-based system that aims to deliver death information to SSA with greater speed and accuracy. 

However, it is ultimately the survivor or survivors’ responsibility to ensure that Social Security is notified of a beneficiary’s death, as soon as possible. You can do so by calling Social Security at 800-772-1213 or contacting your local Social Security office

spinner image Image Alt Attribute

AARP Membership— $12 for your first year when you sign up for Automatic Renewal

Get instant access to members-only products and hundreds of discounts, a free second membership, and a subscription to AARP the Magazine.

Join Now

A representative payee — a person or organization appointed by Social Security to manage benefit payments for someone no longer able to do so — is also responsible for reporting a beneficiary’s death as part of their larger duty to notify Social Security of any event affecting that person’s payments.

Benefits end in the month of the beneficiary’s death, regardless of the date, because under Social Security regulations a person must live an entire month to qualify for benefits. There is no prorating of a final benefit for the month of death. If Social Security pays the deceased's benefit for that month because it was not notified of the death in time, the survivors or representative payee will have to return the money.

Keep in mind

The death of a someone who was receiving or eligible for Social Security on his or her own work record triggers a one-time payment of $255 (often called the “burial benefit” or “death benefit”) to a surviving spouse who was living with the deceased or collecting Social Security benefits on the deceased’s record. If there is no surviving spouse, the $255 would go to any child who qualifies for benefits on the deceased’s record.

Discover AARP Members Only Access

Join AARP to Continue

Already a Member?