Skip to content

Who is responsible for handling Social Security benefits paid to a minor?

En español | If a beneficiary is incapable of managing money that comes from Social Security, that task usually goes to a relative designated as a representative payee. This person must use the funds for the beneficiary's needs, such as payment for food, shelter, clothes, medical care and personal items.

If the representative payee is found to be diverting the money to other purposes, the Social Security Administration may appoint a new payee and take action to recover the misused money.

Published October 10, 2018

Join the Discussion

0 %{widget}% | Add Yours

You must be logged in to leave a comment.