Skip to content

Social Security Holidays 2021: When Are Offices Closed?

Many services are available online or by phone even when Social Security offices aren't open

exterior red brick Social Security Administration office in Brownsville Texas against bright blue sky and white clouds

Corbis via Getty Images

En español | Social Security Administration (SSA) offices are currently closed to walk-in visits due to the coronavirus pandemic. In certain, very limited circumstances, you may be able to schedule an in-person visit, and many Social Security services can be accessed online or by telephone.

On the federal holidays Social Security observes each year, scheduled visits are unavailable, as are some telephone services that require live representatives. The next such occasion is Labor Day, which falls on Monday, Sept. 6. 

Here's the Social Security holiday schedule for 2021:

  • New Year's Day: Friday, Jan. 1
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Monday, Jan. 18
  • Washington's Birthday/Presidents Day: Monday, Feb. 15
  • Memorial Day: Monday, May 31
  • Juneteenth: Friday, June 18 (observed, because June 19, the date of the Juneteenth holiday, falls on a Saturday)
  • Independence Day: Monday, July 5 (observed, because July 4 falls on a Sunday)
  • Labor Day: Monday, Sept. 6
  • Columbus Day: Monday, Oct. 11
  • Veterans Day: Thursday, Nov. 11
  • Thanksgiving: Thursday, Nov. 25
  • Christmas:  Friday, Dec. 24 (observed, because Christmas Day falls on a Saturday)
  • New Year's Day 2022: Friday, Dec. 31 (observed, because Jan. 1, 2022, falls on a Saturday)

Under normal operation, Social Security offices are open to in-person visits on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. They are closed on federal holidays.

The SSA has yet to announce when field offices will reopen for walk-in service. In-person visits can be arranged, by appointment, in what Social Security calls “limited, critical situations” involving benefit issues that cannot be resolved by phone, mail or online. You may also be able to schedule a visit to correct or update personal information attached to your Social Security number, such as your name or citizenship status.

To see if you qualify for an appointment, call your local Social Security office or check the SSA's COVID-19 updates page.

Save 25% when you join AARP and enroll in Automatic Renewal for first year. Get instant access to discounts, programs, services, and the information you need to benefit every area of your life.

Social Security by phone

To speak to a Social Security representative by phone, you can:

  • Call SSA's national toll-free number, 800-772-1213, between 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. on weekdays.
  • Call your local office between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. You'll find the correct number by plugging your zip code into SSA's office locator.

On federal holidays, you will not be able to speak to a live agent, as Social Security personnel get the day off, but you can access some services using the SSA's automated phone system. For example, you can ask for a benefit verification letter, which can serve as proof of Social Security income if you are applying for a loan or for aid from a government program; request a new Medicare card; or check on the status of a pending claim for benefits.

You'll find a full list of automated phone services, which are available 24 hours a day, at the Social Security website.

Online services: My Social Security

Whatever the status of your local office and whatever the day or time, you can securely access many SSA services with an online My Social Security account.

You don't need to be getting benefits yet to use My Social Security. Once you've opened an account at the SSA website, you can use it to:

  • Check your Social Security statement, which shows your lifetime earnings history and your current or estimated future benefits.
  • Check on the status of a pending application for benefits or appeal of a Social Security decision.
  • Set up direct deposit for your benefit payments or change the deposit details.
  • Request a replacement Social Security card or Medicare card.
  • Request a benefit verification letter.
  • Request an SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S form, which details your benefit income for tax purposes.
  • Notify the SSA of a change of address or phone number.

You can also apply for retirement benefits, Medicare or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) online. You'll find information and links to application forms on SSA's Online Services web page.

Join the Discussion

0 %{widget}% | Add Yours

You must be logged in to leave a comment.