Creating Community Gardens for People of All Ages — a 32-page publication by AARP Livable Communities with 8 80 Cities — can help elected officials, government staff, nonprofit organizations and neighbors in all sorts of places build and sustain community gardens as inclusive, intergenerational outdoor spaces.
A community garden can improve the health of residents, foster economic development, combat social isolation, relieve food insecurity, improve public safety, encourage inclusion and enhance community connectedness.
By encouraging physical activity, civic engagement and socializing, community gardens support healthy aging and help foster resiliency for people and places.
Community gardens can also help revitalize neighborhoods and incentivize the development of more walkable and transit-oriented places.
This publication explains the value of community gardens, provides guidance about starting and sustaining such gardens, and shares examples and suggestions for related public policies and programs. Many of the examples and photographs in the guide are of gardens that were created or enhanced by grant funding from the AARP Community Challenge.
AARP publication number D20823
Learn about the AARP Community Challenge and Gardens
- Read "West Philadelphia Garden Grows Sense of Community"
- Read "Gardening Boxes are Great for Grown Ups"
- Read "Growing Food So Neighbors Can Eat"
- Read "How to Create, Maintain and Manage an Intergenerational Community Garden"
- Read "The Key Ingredient for Creating a New Public Space? Community Engagement"
- Watch "Planting a Garden in Anadarko, Oklahoma"
- Watch "Growing Food in Providence, Rhode Island"
- Watch "Community Gardens A Tool for Growing Community Change Webinar Recording"
- Look through the "Photo Album: Community Gardens"
- Find more AARP Livable Communities publications and resources
Page published January 2023
Stay Informed — For Free!
The weekly, award-winning AARP Livable Communities e-Newsletter provides local leaders with information and inspiration for making their town, city or neighborhood more livable for older adults and people of all ages. Subscribe today!
THIS IS AN AWARD-WINNING PUBLICATION
- 2023 Hermes Creative Awards: Gold
- 2023 dotCOMM: Gold
- 2023 Apex Award of Excellence
Find articles, publications and more