Nobody’s knocking guacamole. But Pati Jinich, chef, author and host of Pati’s Mexican Table and La Frontera on PBS, uses avocados from Mexico in over 250 recipes — from cocktails to salads to even desserts. Among her favorite ways to add the creamy wonder:
1. Breakfast sandwich: Top a grilled ham and cheese with a sunny-side-up egg and sliced avocado.
2. Burritos: Any wrap becomes more substantial with avocado.
3. Avocado pizza: Before cooking, add slices of avocado to your basic pizza, along with a protein such as grilled beef, or go with corn, zucchini or fire-roasted poblanos.
4. Seafood tacos: Diced avocado gives shrimp or fish tacos an authentic Mexican stamp.
5. Shrimp roll: Fill a grilled bun with shrimp topped with diced avocado and mango.
6. Grilled steak and avocado sandwich: Peeled slices of the soft green fruit work well on most tortas. Here, use refried beans as a spread.
7. Ceviche: Give this classic seafood-citrus salad a new dimension.
8. Avocado chopped salad: Toss chopped avocado with chopped tomato, veggies (hearts of palm, corn) and a light vinaigrette.
9. Avocado tuna or egg salad: Add cubed avocado to a favorite lunchtime recipe.
10. Tomato avocado salad with queso fresco: Any salty soft cheese works well to balance the tomatoes’ sweetness.