Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Skip to content
Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Leaving AARP.org Website

You are now leaving AARP.org and going to a website that is not operated by AARP. A different privacy policy and terms of service will apply.

104-Year-Old Skydiver Dies Days After Her Likely Record-Breaking Jump  

The centenarian took to the skies for an adventure and a potential world record

spinner image one hundred and four year old dorothy hoffner seen here tandem jump skydiving with derek baxter on october first twenty twenty three just days before she passed away
Dorothy Hoffner, 104, falling through the air with tandem jumper Derek Baxter on Sunday, Oct. 1, 2023, at Skydive Chicago in Ottawa, Ill. Hoffner, who made a recent skydive jump that could see her certified by Guinness World Records as the oldest person to ever skydive, has died.
Daniel Wilsey/AP Newsroom

“Coming down with a parachute over you, it’s such a peaceful thing,” Dorothy Hoffner told AARP on Oct. 2, one day after she jumped out of a plane near her home in Chicago and parachuted to the ground.

The extreme sport attracts millions of adventure-seekers each year, but Hoffner’s tandem jump made international headlines. At the age of 104.5, she became the world’s oldest skydiver — a title that previously belonged to (and officially still does until paperwork is filed and finalized) a 103-year-old woman from Sweden.

spinner image Image Alt Attribute

AARP Membership— $12 for your first year when you sign up for Automatic Renewal

Get instant access to members-only products and hundreds of discounts, a free second membership, and a subscription to AARP the Magazine.

Join Now

One week after what was likely a record-setting skydive, Hoffner passed away in her sleep where she lived at Brookdale Lake View senior living facility. She would have turned 105 in December.

Hoffner’s Oct. 1 jump from Skydive Chicago in Ottawa, Illinois, was not her first. The Chicago native first went skydiving at the age of 100 with a friend she calls her “pseudo grandson.” 

“We enjoyed it and we wanted to do it again shortly after,” Hoffner said. But then the COVID-19 pandemic hit — the second pandemic of Hoffner’s life — and she had to wait. Four years later, she still felt up for it. “You know, age is only a number,” she said.    

Attached to a certified U.S. Parachute Association tandem instructor, Hoffner landed her Oct. 1 jump to claps and cheers from a small crowd of media and other supporters.  “That was wonderful,” she told her fellow jumpers while getting unhooked from her gear on the ground.

The skydiving centenarian spent the next few days taking questions from reporters — one even called from London, she said. “It’s not for the jump that they’re making a fuss about this,” she said. “It’s for the age. Now what does age have to do with anything?”

Hoffner credits God for her long and healthy life — no habits or hacks to swear by. “I eat everything that’s put before me,” she said when we talked on Oct. 2. “Physically, I’m in good shape, and I can’t complain because everything has worked out so well for me all my life.”

Skydive Chicago and the U.S. Parachute Association, who helped to arrange Hoffner’s Oct. 1 jump, issued a statement saying the group felt “honored to have been a part of making her world-record skydive a reality.” The statement continued: “Skydiving is an activity that many of us safely tuck away in our bucket lists. But Dorothy reminds us that it’s never too late to take the thrill of a lifetime.”

Discover AARP Members Only Access

Join AARP to Continue

Already a Member?