Some 50-plus dads think they're Djimon Hounsou, Alec Baldwin and Bruce Springsteen rolled into one; others need a nudge to keep their confidence up. Just like us, grownup guys want to look healthy, hip and hot — or at least radiate some attitude. The dad you're gifting might be your own, your spouse, a significant other or ex but whoever he is, help the dude in your life keep rocking at every age. Whatever his personal style and personality, give him a little something to inspire, encourage and make him feel like a star:
- 1 of
PHOTO BY: Getty Images (2): Santiago Felipe; Tommaso Boddi
1. The Geek Daddy He knows more about tech than a Genius Bar staffer but prefers reading a real book or listening to NPR rather than social media. He hums soft rock in elevators, favors Star Trek and Star Wars to Game of Thrones and plans to learn chess for fun and beekeeping for profit. Thanks to him, you or your kids graduated from college debt-free and your laptop and iPhone never have a glitch.
- 2 of
PHOTO BY: Gap; Sephora; L.L. Bean
Appreciate his combo of nerd and new with an updated Henley in soothing olive or gray, like the L.L.Bean Lakewashed Organic Cotton Shirt, Long-Sleeve Henley ($35, llbean.com), or a high-performance hoodie like GapFit Brushed Tech Jersey Full-Zip Hoodie in true black or charcoal ($52, gap.com) or a super lightweight spicy/fruity body mist like Calvin Klein ck one All Over Body Spray ($20, sephora.com).
- 3 of
PHOTO BY: Getty Images (3): Randy Holmes; Tony Barson/FilmMagic; ECP
2. The Handyman Pappy He's a deceptively scruffy DIY “jeans and beard” guy with a creative eye whose garage workshop is his sanctuary. He can assemble a Home Depot hutch, install a closet system or paint the kitchen Provence blue just like Martha Stewart. Nothing makes him happier than antiquing at the flea market, gardening or watching home renovations on Bravo.
- 4 of
PHOTO BY: H&M; Bath and Body Works; Old Navy
Show your awe and gratitude with a woodsy scent with a hint of lavender like Bath & Body Works Teakwood Cologne ($36, bathandbodyworks), a prewashed plaid shirt like Old Navy Regular-Fit Built-In Flex Everyday Shirt for Men ($28, oldnavy.com) and a relaxed new-style shirt with a longer droptail like the H&M Slub Jersey T-Shirt ($13, hm.com) in black and dark gray.
- 5 of
PHOTO BY: Getty Images (2): Presley Ann; Monica Schipper for Tribeca Film Festival; Tommaso Boddi; Dominik Bindl
3. The Classic but Cool Dad He's never worn shorts, bright colors or changed his straight-out-of-grad-school haircut but his calm, sensible habits are so reassuring. He still wears button-downs, suits and ties, chinos, loafers and classic glasses but thanks to your influence the shirts are a trim fit, his sock wardrobe is no longer boring and his frames are trendy tortoise or clear.
- 6 of
PHOTO BY: Uniqlo; H&M; Ulta
Acknowledge his Old World charm but forward thinking with linen shirts in grays and blues like the Uniqlo Men Premium Linen Long-Sleeve Shirt ($30, unilqo.com), a bunch of two-tone, striped and dotted socks in his favorite hues like the H&M Men 10-Pack Socks in gray/blue ($20, hm.com) and a sophisticated spicy vetiver, tobacco and gray woods scent like Dolce & Gabbana the One Grey Eau de Toilette ($68, 1.6 oz ulta.com) ... so him!
- 7 of
PHOTO BY: Getty Images (2): David M. Benett/Dave Benett (r)
4. The Dangerously Dapper Dad He has the retro charm of Cary Grant, the relaxed elegance of Frank Sinatra and the smoothness of Paul Newman. He's quite a guy but what lies beneath is a razor-sharp intelligence, a sizzling interest in everything from art to politics and a tough-guy attitude. He prefers French-press coffee to pods, sports cars to SUVs and collects vintage watches. Like the old “never let them see you sweat” commercial, he makes life with him feel easy and safe.
- 8 of
PHOTO BY: Uniqlo; Ulta; Gap; H&M
Celebrate that with a jersey knit wrinkle-resistant blazer, the Uniqlo Men Comfort Jacket ($60, uniqlo.com); a sensual scent with Cuban rum, bergamot and coffee like JVxNJ Crimson Eau de Toilette ($74, 2.5 oz, ulta.com); and a rich black modern polo like Gap's All Day Pique Polo Shirt in true black ($15, gap.com ) or an organic, woven band-collar chambray button-down like the H&M Regular Fit Henley Shirt by Conscious in denim blue ($30, hm.com).
- 9 of
PHOTO BY: Getty Images (2): Steve Jennings; Ian Lawrence
5. The Playful Pop He's into reliving his childhood and recalling the good old days and dress casual is his motto. His collections of plaid shirts, joggers and stand-out sneakers are staples. He's got a garage band of high school cronies that gets together on weekends, still skateboards and surfs (after knee and hip replacement!) and could live on pizza and fries if you let him (but you don't).
- 10 of
PHOTO BY: Old Navy; Zappos; L.L. Bean
Deliver some throwback joy with a colorful T-shirt with sunscreen fabric like the L.L.Bean UPF50+ Sun Shirt Color Block ($40, llbean.com), quick-dry board shorts like Old Navy Built-In Flex Board Shorts with 10-inch inseam in teal stripe ($17.50, oldnavy.com) and red contour pool slides like the Adidas Adilette Cloudfoam Plus Logo Slides in active red ($35, zappos.com).
- 11 of
- 12 of
PHOTO BY: Getty Images (3): Allen Berezovsky; RB/Bauer-Griffin; James Devaney
6. The Eclectic Dad He's a chameleon dad who's multitalented, likes to multitask and isn't afraid to stand out in a crowd of peers or fit right in with millennials. Hats, wild glasses and a clever mix of athleisure, tailored and vintage indicate a late-blooming interest in fashion.
- 13 of
PHOTO BY: Old Navy; Nordstrom; H&M; Gap
Encourage his self-expression with new summer basics, from moisture-wicking cotton joggers like Old Navy Built-In Flex Dry Quick Ripstop Utility Joggers for Men ($42, oldnavy.com) to short-sleeve floral print shirts like Gap Print Camp Shirt in navy floral ($40, gap.com) and a cool herbal/citrus body mist like Jack Black All Over Body Spray With Natural Citrus, Mint & Rosemary ($30, 3.4 oz, nordstrom.com) and a black woven paper fedora like the H&M Men Straw Hat in black ($10, hm.com).
- 14 of
PHOTO BY: Getty Images (2): Dominik Bindl (r)
7. The High-Energy Pa He drinks a double espresso at dawn, jumps on his Peloton bike (traded his Harley for this) and tracks his steps, heart and sleep with borderline obsession. His tattoos, statement hair (anything from a shaved head to fades to undercuts to two-tone) and bomber and biker jacket collection camouflage a secret love of romantic movies, takeout dinners on the couch with you and lust for chocolate.
- 15 of
PHOTO BY: Uniqlo; Ulta; Old Navy
Give him a boost with a light zippered shell with knit collar and cuffs like the Old Navy Lightweight Water-Resistant Bomber Jacket($43, oldnavy.com), an energizing scent with grapefruit, lemon and mandarin grounded by woods and musk such as Ralph Lauren Polo Red Rush Eau de Toilette ($68, 2.5 oz, ulta.com) and a modern polo with quick dry technology like Uniqlo Men Dry Pique Short-Sleeve Polo ($20, uniqlo.com) in pink, yellow or orange.
- 16 of
PHOTO BY: Getty Images (2): Gilbert Carrasquillo; Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE
8. A Hunk With Heart He's a big s'more — crunchy and crisp outside, soft and sweet inside. So, he hollers at bad drivers, yells at robocalls (despite your “It's not real, honey") and refuses to give up BBQ cheeseburgers (but always grills salmon or shrimp for you), kisses your dog on the lips and texts you heart emojis every day.
- 17 of
PHOTO BY: Gap; Target; Gap
Encourage his authenticity with a yummy beard/scruff hydrator like Goodfellow & Company No. 07 Spiced Ginger & Rum Beard Oil ($8, target.com), flattering stretch cotton shorts like Gap Wearlight 10-inch or 12-inch Khaki Shorts in smoking grey ($36, gap.com) and a red plaid work shirt to wear solo, layer over a T-shirt, tuck or untuck, like Gap Plaid Work Shirt in Slub Cotton in Dark Red ($39, gap.com).
- 18 of
PHOTO BY: Getty Images (3): Kevin Winter; Manny Carabel
9. The Hipster Dad He's a cool dude who dresses only in black or gray, drives an electric car and buys artisanal food — cheese, bread and pickles are his current cravings. His constant companions are a backpack, wireless earbuds, a rap beat and a dialogue of “Hey, Siri” and Alexa questions all day long.
- 19 of
PHOTO BY: Gap; Sephora; Everlane
Applaud his edge with a luxury blend black T-shirt like Gap Crewneck T-Shirt in Linen-Cotton in true black ($15, gap.com), a black linen button-down like Everlane's Linen Standard Fit Shirt in black ($60, everlane.com), and a lavender-scented after-shave like the Art of Shaving After-Shave Balm in lavender ($40, sephora.com) to baby his sensitive skin.
- 20 of
PHOTO BY: Getty Images (2): Tony Barson/FilmMagic (r)
10. The Country Pop He listens to Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson in the car and while fishing but adds Keith Urban to the playlist for you. He won't change his shaggy hair or give up his cowboy boots but says you taught him to meditate while playing the harmonica and influenced his swap from the local brew to kombucha.
- 21 of
PHOTO BY: Asos; Bath and Bodyworks; Asos
Let him live like a rodeo king in a blue plaid shirt like the Asos Collusion Plus Check Over Shirt ($29, asos.com), a clean fresh outdoorsy scent like Bath & Body Works Ocean Cologne ($36, bathandbodyworks.com) and a new jeans jacket like Asos Men New Look Plus Denim Western Jacket in black ($48, asos.com).
For more beauty and style tips for women age 50-plus, check out The Woman's Wakeup: How to Shake Up Your Looks, Life, and Love After 50 by Lois Joy Johnson