Skip to content

My Social Security benefit is reduced because I collect a government pension. Will my spouse's survivor benefits be reduced too?

En español | The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) may reduce the Social Security benefits of workers who have pensions from employment where they did not pay Social Security taxes. The benefit payable to the spouse of a worker subject to the WEP is also reduced, but only while the worker is alive. If the worker dies, the survivor benefit is calculated using the standard Social Security formula, without any reduction for the WEP.

Published October 10, 2018

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.