As the voting bloc most likely to turnout in midterm elections, voters 50-plus could once again decide this year's elections. These surveys show that voters over 50 will be voting and earlier than ever — so candidates need to pay attention to them now if they want to win.
Concerns about inflation are top of mind to many voters, yet the data show that voters 50-plus, regardless of political party, are more likely to vote for Congressional candidates who vow to protect Social Security and Medicare and to lower prescription drug prices.
At the state level, issues that enable older adults to be financially secure and in their homes as long as possible will be important for gubernatorial candidates to address if they want the support of voters 50 and older.
AARP commissioned a bipartisan polling team to conduct telephone and text-to-web surveys with likely voters in 10 battleground states for the 2022 election. Respondents for all polls were registered likely voters age 18-plus; however, oversamples of voters 50 and older were included in each state to enable better analysis of this important voting group. Each state survey included interviews with at least 1,200 respondents.
Fabrizio Ward and Impact Research conducted polls in Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin between May and September 2022.
2022 Voter Survey Data
Targeted Congressional Districts
AARP Targeted Congressional Districts: 2022 Elections
- Voters 18+ (PDF)
- Asian American Voters 50+ (PDF)
- Black Voters 50+ (PDF)
- Hispanic Voters 50+ (PDF)
- Target House District Survey: Topline Data (PDF)
AARP New York Congressional Districts: 2022 Elections
- AARP Georgia: 2022 Elections (PDF)
- AARP Georgia: 2022 Elections (Black Voters 50+) (PDF)
- Georgia Survey: Topline Data (2022 Elections) (PDF)
- AARP Michigan: 2022 Elections (18+) (PDF)
- AARP Michigan: 2022 Elections (Black Voters 50+) (PDF)
- Michigan Survey: Topline Data (2022 Elections) (PDF)
- AARP Nevada: 2022 Elections (18+) – Governor (PDF)
- AARP Nevada: Midterm Elections (Hispanic Voters 50+) (PDF)
- Nevada Statewide Survey: Topline Data (PDF)
Search AARP Research
Enter a keyword below to find answers to your AARP Research questions.
She's the Difference
Women voters 50+ will impact the balance of power in the 2022 Midterms.Find Out More