Skip to content

Getting Tax Help 'en Español'

Websites, free services ease the busywork of filing season

En español | Preparing your taxes is complicated enough, but doing so in a second language can be downright daunting. If you prefer to file your taxes in Spanish or know someone who does, there are numerous options to do the job online or get assistance from volunteers in your community.

Sign up for the AARP Money Newsletter.

Free File
The IRS’s Free File program allows you to prepare and e-file your federal return for free. Several participating software companies make their products available through the IRS in Spanish. Some of these companies also prepare state tax returns for a fee.

  • If your adjusted gross income (AGI) is $57,000 or less: You can use free tax filing software. Here’s a list of companies that offer Free File in Spanish. TaxSlayer offers free federal and state tax return preparation and e-file. YES I-CAN!® E-File offers free federal tax return preparation and filing as well as state return preparation and filing for selected states.
  • If your AGI is more than $57,000: You can use the IRS’s Free File Fillable Forms (in Spanish), online paper forms designed for people comfortable preparing their own tax returns. This option does not offer state tax returns.

AARP Resources
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide
, an AARP Foundation program, can assist you with tax services as well as ensure that you receive applicable tax credits and deductions. This free service is aimed at taxpayers with low or moderate income, with special attention to those 60 and older. Find an AARP Tax-Aide site location near you.

You can also go to AARP en Español’s Tax Tips page for more information on tax breaks, planning tips and shortcuts.

If you have questions about your filing or when to expect your refund, you can call the IRS’s toll-free, automated telephone service TeleTax, available in English and Spanish. TeleTax is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-829-4477.

You can also get multilingual assistance at the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers through bilingual employees and over-the-phone interpreters. For the nearest location, go to the IRS’s Taxpayer Assistance Center directory.

You may also like: What's new for taxes in 2012?