Explore hundreds of recipes and learn which foods are good for your health.
En español | Yes. Medicare Part B covers doctor and outpatient services as well as prescribed equipment and supplies for home use that are deemed medically necessary.
It must be considered durable. The federal government calls this category durable medical equipment (DME). This equipment must withstand repeated use and includes blood sugar meters and test strips, commode chairs, continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines and accessories, hospital beds, infusion pumps and supplies, oxygen equipment and accessories, walkers, wheelchairs and scooters, and other devices.
Medicare also covers prosthetic and orthotic items such as:
What may be denied. What won’t be covered are other items that you may need medically but are considered disposable, such as catheters, compression socks, incontinence pads, rolled elastic bandages and surgical face masks. Also likely to be rejected because they’re considered as being for your convenience and not medically necessary are items such as an air purifier, a bathtub lift and a raised toilet seat.
To pass Medicare’s test for coverage, the equipment or supplies must be:
Some items, such as oxygen equipment and wheelchairs, have additional requirements before Medicare will cover them. That could include getting prior approval or renting instead of buying.
If a medical equipment supplier accepts assignment, which means it agrees to take the Medicare-approved amount as payment in full, then Medicare Part B pays 80 percent of the cost of the equipment and supplies. You’ll pay the remaining 20 percent coinsurance.
If a supplier doesn’t accept assignment, it can charge whatever it wants for the equipment. Durable medical equipment doesn’t have a 15 percent limit on excess charges as it does for doctors and other health care providers who don’t accept assignment but have not opted out of Medicare.
Medigap helps. You can buy a private Medicare supplement policy to help cover Medicare’s deductibles, copayments and coinsurance. All of these Medigap policies cover the 20 percent Part B coinsurance in part or full.
Medical equipment is often rented, but you can purchase some items. Requirements vary based on the equipment type.
Either way, you must get the equipment from a Medicare-approved supplier. Check out Medicare’s medical equipment supplier directory for approved suppliers in your area.
Beware of unsolicited calls or other communications offering "free" medical equipment, especially if they request your Medicare or Social Security number. It's almost certainly a scam to steal your identity or bill Medicare for devices that aren’t medically necessary or never delivered.
Updated September 15, 2022
Return to Medicare Q&A main page
Find the content you are looking for by entering in search terms below.
What is Medicare?
New in 2022
What’s Not Covered
Reasons to Change Coverage
You are leaving AARP.org and going to the website of our trusted provider. The provider’s terms, conditions and policies apply. Please return to AARP.org to learn more about other benefits.
Your email address is now confirmed.
You'll start receiving the latest news, benefits, events, and programs related to AARP's mission to empower people to choose how they live as they age.
You can also manage your communication preferences by updating your account at anytime. You will be asked to register or log in.
In the next 24 hours, you will receive an email to confirm your subscription to receive emails
related to AARP volunteering. Once you confirm that subscription, you will regularly
receive communications related to AARP volunteering. In the meantime, please feel free
to search for ways to make a difference in your community at