Skip to content

Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now


The name on my birth certificate has a different spelling than what's on my driver's license, credit cards and Social Security card. Will this cause a problem when I apply for benefits?

En español | Probably not.  The folks at Social Security are used to dealing with name changes of all kinds.

However, differences in personal information such as name or date of birth may result in other problems such as renewing your driver’s license and filing tax returns.  It is best to resolve the differences sooner than later.  Just to be sure, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and discuss your concerns with a representative.

Submit a Question to AARP Experts

Didn’t see the answer to your question? Help us improve the tool by submitting your Social Security question. Go

Next Article

Read This