Skip to content

What are the 'special credits' that veterans receive for military service?

En español | Service members who spent time on active duty from 1940 through 2001 may have extra Social Security wage credits added to their earnings records. Because Social Security benefits are calculated based on a person's lifetime earnings, these credits generally result in higher monthly payments for qualifying veterans. Congress discontinued the special credits for military service in 2002.

The amount of extra credit varies according to how long the veteran served and in what time period. If your active duty occurred from 1940 through 1967, you received the credits when you applied for Social Security benefits. If you served from 1968 through 2001, they were added to your record as you earned them. 

If you believe you qualify for special credits, check with a Social Security representative, by phone at 800-772-1213 or in person at your local Social Security office, to ensure they have been added to your work record. You may be asked for proof of your military service. 

[Editor’s note: The Social Security Administration temporarily closed local offices to the public on March 17, 2020, in response to the coronavirus threat. Social Security services remain available online and by phone. We will update this article when the field offices reopen.]

For more details, see the Social Security pamphlet "Military Service and Social Security."

Keep in mind


Updated March 17, 2020

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.