Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Skip to content
Content starts here
Leaving Website

You are now leaving and going to a website that is not operated by AARP. A different privacy policy and terms of service will apply.

Can Social Security tell me if a former employer owes me pension benefits?


The Social Security Administration keeps a database of people whom the Internal Revenue Service has identified as having qualified for pension benefits under private retirement plans. When you apply for Social Security benefits, you'll be notified about any such information on file about you, or about any deceased worker on whose record might qualify you for benefits.

Another way to get the information is to send a written request to: OCO Office of Earnings Operations, Attention: ERISA Correspondence Group, P.O. Box 33007, Baltimore, MD 21290-3307. Include the following information:

  • Your name and Social Security number.
  • Your date of birth and parents' names.
  • The address to send the information to.
spinner image Image Alt Attribute

AARP Membership— $12 for your first year when you sign up for Automatic Renewal

Get instant access to members-only products and hundreds of discounts, a free second membership, and a subscription to AARP the Magazine. Find out how much you could save in a year with a membership. Learn more.

Join Now

Also give any information you might have concerning possible private pension benefits, such as the names of companies you worked for. Add the Privacy Act penalty statement: "I certify that I am the person to whom the record pertains, or that person's parent (if a minor) or legal guardian, or a person who is authorized to sign on behalf of that individual. I know that the knowing and willful request or acquisition of records under false pretenses is a criminal offense subject to a fine of up to $5,000."

Discover AARP Members Only Access

Join AARP to Continue

Already a Member?