Skip to content

How Can I Get a Refund From Withheld Taxes?

Q: How do I get back the taxes withheld by the plan administrator of my 401(k) when I rolled over a distribution? I rolled over a pension distribution from a former employer to an IRA within the required 60-day period. I rolled over the net amount received, as well as the amount of tax withheld by the employer, in order to avoid any taxation.

 A: You will have to wait until you file your tax return to obtain a refund. Any amount withheld by the employer should be included with all other taxes withheld and entered on Line 63 of the 1040. The employer will send you a Form 1099-R that shows the withholding. You would attach a copy of the 1099-R with your W-2s to the tax return.

These questions are actual inquiries submitted by taxpayers to our AARP Tax-Aide Program. The AARP Tax-Aide Program is a volunteer-run, free tax-preparation and assistance program offered to low- and middle-income taxpayers with special attention to people age 60 and older. Our volunteers are trained and IRS-certified to understand individual federal-tax issues. Our volunteers provide tax assistance as a public service and cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information provided.

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.