Skip to content

Free Tax Preparation Services Available Through AARP Tax-Aide

The AARP Tax-Aide program is now in full swing, providing free tax preparation help to low- and moderate-income residents across the state. In Maine last year, AARP Tax-Aide volunteers helped over 18,000 taxpayers in Maine receive over $10 million in federal income tax refunds, including $2.2 million of earned income credit.

The AARP Tax-Aide program, sponsored by the AARP Foundation and in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service, began in 1968 with just 4 volunteers and 100 clients. Today, over 33,000 volunteers provide free tax preparation services to millions of people across the country.

AARP Tax-Aide counselors are volunteers who are trained each year on state and federal tax regulations, and are certified by the IRS to provide free tax preparation services. From Feb. 1 through April 18, these volunteers can be found at community centers, libraries, and a variety of public locations across Maine helping Mainers file their state and federal tax returns.

Although this program is sponsored by AARP and has a particular focus on preparing taxes for those ages 60 and older, you do not have to be an AARP member or any particular age to use the service.

Want to get your taxes done by the AARP Tax-Aide Program? While many of the Tax-Aide sites do allow for walk-ins, it is best to make an appointment ahead of time. Some locations also offer volunteers who can come to the homes of those who are housebound. There are more than 80 Tax-Aide sites in Maine. Find a location near you.

Tax-payers are asked to bring the following records to the site:

  • photo identification
  • Social Security card (and cards for any dependents)
  • a copy of last year’s return
  • all tax-related forms received, such as W-2s from each employer, 1099Rs for pension or annuities, Social Security 1099, or other 1099 for interest or dividends
  • unemployment compensation statements
  • state income tax refund statement
  • documentation relating to any tax adjustments or credits you may be entitled to such as tuition statements, child and dependent care expenses, real estate taxes, car excise tax, mortgage interest, charitable donations, home energy efficiency item purchases, and year-end statements from investment accounts

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.