Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Ask the Experts: Insurance Information Institute on Homeowner Sewage B... Skip to content

Introducing the Problem-Solving Strategy Challenge, the latest interactive brain exercise from Staying Sharp! Get started now.


Insurance Information Institute on Sewage Backups

Q. Heavy rain sent raw sewage backing up into our home. Our insurance company says the thousands of dollars of damage are not covered under our homeowner’s policy. How can that be?

A. According to the Insurance Information Institute, most homeowner and flood policies don’t cover this kind of mishap. You must buy specific sewage coverage for $40 to $50 annually. If the backup made your home unlivable, your homeowner’s policy may provide loss-of-use coverage for such expenses as lodging and food.

Send your questions to: Ask the Experts, AARP Bulletin Check out for previously asked questions and answers.

Carole Fleck is a senior editor at the AARP Bulletin.

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.