AARP Eye Center
Social Security Administration (SSA) field offices observe 11 annual federal holidays. Offices are closed to visitors on these days, and telephone help from live representatives is not available. That occurs next on Monday, Jan. 16, when federal agencies observe Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Here’s the Social Security holiday schedule for 2023:
- New Year’s Day: Monday, Jan. 2 (observed)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Monday, Jan. 16
- Washington’s Birthday: Monday, Feb. 20
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 29
- Juneteenth National Independence Day: Monday, June 19
- Independence Day: Tuesday, July 4
- Labor Day: Monday, Sept. 4
- Columbus Day: Monday, Oct. 9
- Veterans Day: Friday, Nov. 10 (observed)
- Thanksgiving: Thursday, Nov. 23
- Christmas: Monday, Dec. 25
AARP Membership — $12 for your first year when you sign up for Automatic Renewal
Get instant access to members-only products and hundreds of discounts, a free second membership, and a subscription to AARP the Magazine.
When a holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, federal offices observe it on the preceding Friday or the following Monday, respectively.
Under normal operations, Social Security offices are open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. They fully reopened April 7, 2022, after more than two years of strictly limited visitation due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
During that period, field offices were closed to foot traffic and allowed scheduled visits only in limited, critical situations. While the offices are again serving walk-in visitors, Social Security strongly recommends making an appointment in advance to avoid lines and long waits. Visitors must complete a COVID-19 self-assessment before entering and wear a mask while inside.
To make an appointment, contact your local Social Security office.
Social Security by phone
To speak to a Social Security representative by phone, you can:
- Call the SSA’s national customer-service number, 800-772-1213, between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time on weekdays.
- Call your local office between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays. You’ll find the correct number by plugging your zip code into SSA’s office locator.