This survey of New Jersey registered voters ages 18-64 was conducted by AARP to gauge opinions and support about a state retirement savings option.
The survey found that most registered voters in New Jersey are anxious about having enough money for retirement, and over half say they are behind schedule for planning saving. A notable one in five registered voters say they do not have access to a retirement savings option through their employer and most of them say they would take advantage of one if offered.
New Jersey voters strongly support legislation that would provide workers without access to employer retirement savings options a way to save for their retirement years. Nearly all agree that elected officials should support a state retirement savings program.
Key findings include:
- Most (80%) voters support a private-public managed state retirement savings option.
- Nearly all (87%) agree that state lawmakers should support legislation that makes it easier for workers to save for retirement.
- One in five (21%) working registered voters say their employer does not offer a retirement savings plan.
- Nearly two-thirds (64%) of voters would think more positively of local small businesses that offered a retirement savings option to their employees.
- Most (82%) New Jersey registered voters are concerned about cost-of-living increases reducing their standard of living.
This survey of 500 registered voters ages 18-64 in New Jersey was conducted in fall of 2018. Surveys were conducted via landline and cell phone and an oversample of 202 Hispanic/Latino registered voters were completed. This summary reflects only those findings from the statewide base sample of 500 registered voters. All data are weighted by age and gender according to the August 2018 New Jersey voter database statistics. Data were also weighted by age, gender and race/ethnicity and showed no difference from data weighted by only age and gender. For more information, contact Jennifer Sauer at firstname.lastname@example.org. For media inquiries, contact email@example.com.
Sauer, Jennifer. AARP New Jersey Retirement Security Survey. Washington, DC: AARP Research, November 2018. https://doi.org/10.26419/res.00264.001
Search AARP Research
Enter a keyword below to find answers to your AARP Research questions.
The Value of Experience
About three in five older workers (61%) have either seen or experienced age discrimination in the workplace.Find Out More