With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover. Check out your member benefits today.
En español | Medicare Part B helps to pay for many items of medical equipment and supplies that help you function — for example, wheelchairs, artificial limbs, pacemakers, commode chairs, hospital beds, appliances to help breathing, neck and back braces, oxygen supplies and many more. The equipment must be durable (long-lasting). With only a few exceptions, Medicare doesn’t cover disposable items.
To qualify for Medicare coverage, the equipment or supplies must be:
For some items — such as oxygen equipment or a seat lift to help you get into and out of a chair — Medicare requires a doctor to fill out and sign a certificate of medical necessity; without it, Medicare will deny coverage.
Medical equipment is most often rented, but some items may be purchased. Either way, you must get it from a Medicare-approved supplier. To find approved suppliers in your area, go to the supplier directory on Medicare’s website at https://www.medicare.gov/supplierdirectory/search.html.
If you are in the original Medicare program, Medicare pays 80 percent of the cost of covered equipment and supplies and you’re responsible for the remaining 20 percent, unless you have additional insurance (such as Medigap) that covers this cost.
For more information, and to find out how to select an approved supplier, see the official publication “Medicare Coverage of Durable Medical Equipment and Other Devices.” (https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11045-Medicare-Coverage-of-DME.PDF)
Return to Medicare Q&A Tool main page >>
Visit the AARP state page for information about events, news and resources near you.
You are leaving AARP.org and going to the website of our trusted provider. The provider’s terms, conditions and policies apply. Please return to AARP.org to learn more about other benefits.
Your email address is now confirmed.
You'll start receiving the latest news, benefits, events, and programs related to AARP's mission to empower people to choose how they live as they age.
You can also manage your communication preferences by updating your account at anytime. You will be asked to register or log in.
In the next 24 hours, you will receive an email to confirm your subscription to receive emails
related to AARP volunteering. Once you confirm that subscription, you will regularly
receive communications related to AARP volunteering. In the meantime, please feel free
to search for ways to make a difference in your community at