Free Toolkits for Employers
AARP has partnered with the Northeast Business Group on Health to craft a free toolkit for employers. Supporting Caregivers in the Workplace: A Practical Guide for Employers includes comprehensive information, checklists and handouts for employers to share across their company or organization. Click here to access the pdf, and/or here to:
- Assess where you are vs. other organizations
- Review our practical guide
- Watch and share the supporting videos to hear the perspectives of both employers and employee-caregivers that provide insight into the issue
AARP and Public Private Strategies Small Business Caregiving Online Resource Guide provides small business owners with practical guidance to tackle common challenges and create workplaces that are supportive of caregivers. Additionally, it provides information on the current family caregiver situation in America and shares the small business case for caregiver-friendly workplaces.
- Provides practical guidance, tips, and resources that small employers can utilize to make their workplace more caregiver-friendly
- Offers low cost or no cost solutions small business owners can leverage
AARP has partnered with the Elizabeth Dole Foundation and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes program to develop a new employer toolkit. Supporting Military and Veteran Caregivers in the Workplace provides free practical guidance to employers on how to support working family military caregivers in the workplace. Click here to access the pdf.
- Identifies key challenges working family caregivers of military service members face
- Identifies challenges employers face when accommodating employees who are family caregivers
- Tipsheet offers recruitment, onboarding and retention strategies for employers
Additional Programs and Resources
Schedule a Lunch and Learn — Connect with experienced subject matter experts and members of the caregiving team who will provide important learning material in a web-based training environment, help you navigate available resources and discuss frequently asked questions about caregiving and work. Contact AskCaregiving@aarp.org for more information.
Request a Speaker — If you’d like AARP to present on topics related to working family caregivers, take advantage of our free tools and resources, or discuss strategies in which you as the employer or Human Resource professional can support working family caregivers while offering a competitive advantage to retain and remain competitive in today’s workforce, email AskCaregiving@aarp.org to request.
Play the Do You Care Challenge — Experience a day in the life of someone who is caring for a loved one and balancing everyday life. You will walk away with an understanding of the joys and challenges of family caregiving and then be better prepared to offer support to a friend, family member or colleague who is caring for a loved one.
Download or Order Copies of Prepare to Care: A Caregiving Planning Guide for Families — These guides are available in English, Spanish and Chinese. There are also versions for Asian Americans, LGBT and Veteran and Military families. Share them with your employees.
Worth a Read
- Supporting Working Caregivers: Case Studies of Promising Practices — a collection of 14 case studies from the for-profit and non-profit worlds, large and small, highlighting promising practices employers are using to support their working family caregivers.
- Breaking New Ground: Supporting Employed Family Caregivers with Workplace Leave Policies — recent report from the AARP Public Policy Institute shows the value of paid family leave as a “caregiver friendly” policy
- Determining the Return on Investment: Supportive Policies for Employee Caregivers — this report by AARP and Respect a Caregiver’s Time (ReACT) finds that businesses offering flextime and telecommuting schedules saw a ROI between $1.70-$4.45 for every dollar invested in these policies.
- Caregiving While Working — advice and perspective for the working caregiver