Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Skip to content
Content starts here
Leaving Website

You are now leaving and going to a website that is not operated by AARP. A different privacy policy and terms of service will apply.

My name is spelled differently on my birth certificate than on my Social Security card. Will this be an issue when I apply for benefits?


Probably not. The folks at the Social Security Administration (SSA) are used to dealing with name changes and discrepancies of all kinds.

spinner image Image Alt Attribute

AARP Membership— $12 for your first year when you sign up for Automatic Renewal

Get instant access to members-only products and hundreds of discounts, a free second membership, and a subscription to AARP the Magazine.

Join Now

However, differences in personal information such as name or date of birth may result in problems in other areas, such as renewing your driver’s license and filing tax returns. It is best to resolve the differences sooner than later. You can call Social Security at 800-772-1213 to discuss your concerns with a representative.

Keep in mind

  • If you change your name due to marriage, divorce or another reason, notify the SSA as soon as possible to avoid any discrepancy between your legal name and what's in your Social Security record. 
  • To get a new card, you'll need to fill out an SS-5 form and provide it to your local SSA office along with proof of identity and documentation of name change. Social Security has a web page with details on what you need to get a new or corrected card.

Discover AARP Members Only Access

Join AARP to Continue

Already a Member?