Accessory dwelling units can help meet the growing need for flexible housing. Whether you know them as ADUs, granny flats, backyard bungalows, or in-law suites, these spaces are playing a growing role in solving families’ housing needs.
Only July 17, 2019, AARP national housing experts hosted a livestream event sharing insights into the latest ADU design options and stories from families who are taking advantage of this growing and innovative solution. National designers, community leaders, and aging experts also shared insights on how to take advantage of this affordable housing option. As a part of the event, AARP released an ADU design catalog to help homeowners, designers and others navigate how to create this new space in their home.
- Rodney Harrell, Director, AARP Livability and Thought Leadership and Interim Vice President of Long-Term Services and Supports and Livable Communities, AARP Public Policy Institute
- Shannon Guzman, Senior Strategic Policy Advisor, AARP Public Policy Institute
- Susan Reinhard, Senior Vice President and Director, AARP Pubic Policy Institute, Chief Strategist, Center to Champion Nursing in America
- Danielle Arigoni, Director, AARP Livable Communities
- June Grant, Principal Architect, Blink!LAB Architecture
- David Morley, Research Program and QA Manager, American Planning Association
- Paul Mortensen, Chief Urban Designer in the Montgomery County, MD Planning Department of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Learn more about AARP's work on the future of housing.