As small houses or apartments that exist on the same property lot as a single-family residence, accessory dwelling units — or ADUs — play a major role in serving a national housing need. This traditional home type is re-emerging as an affordable and flexible housing option that meets the needs of older adults and young families alike.
Watch this quick video — then scroll down to learn how to download or order the guide.
Click on the image to download a two-page, printable version of the guide's front and back cover. Follow the instructions below to order or download the free 20-page guide. Find this page again by visiting AARP.org/ADU.
The ABCs of ADUs is a primer for elected officials, policymakers, local leaders, homeowners, consumers and others to learn what accessory dwelling units are and how and why they are built. The guide also suggests best practices for how towns, cities, counties and states can include ADUs in their mix of housing options.
To get a copy of this 20-page introductory guide:
1. Download the PDF or ...
2. Email Fulfillment@AARP.org to receive the printed guide. In the email body, include:
- your name
- street mailing address
- town/city, state, zip code
- publication name (The ABCs of ADUs) and number D20473
We can send one copy per request. Bulk orders will be considered. If seeking additional copies please explain why and identify the organization you are representing, if any. Delivery of the printed publication will be by mail and can take up to 4 weeks.
More About ADUs
- Watch a webinar led by Eli Spevak, co-author of The ABCs of ADUs
- Take a look at an ADU project funded by an AARP Community Challenge grant
- Making Big Sense of Small Homes
- New Hampshire Says Yes to ADUS
- Two Houses in One for a Home Within a Home
- Creating Room for ADUs (a state model act and local ordinance published in 2000)
- AARP Livable A-Z Archives: Housing
- AccessoryDwellings.org (including ADU Project Case Studies)
- American Planning Association KnowledgeBase: Accessory Dwelling Units
Page published May 2019