- Health care, dental care and drug coverage for veterans, dependents and survivors
- Disability compensation and other kinds of needs-based cash benefits for veterans and certain survivors
- Education and training benefits
- Life insurance and burial benefits
- Rehabilitation and employment services
Eligibility requirements for different benefits vary significantly. Some benefits, such as disability compensation, are limited to injuries or disease incurred during active training or active duty. The Caregivers of Veterans (1-855-260-3274) has useful information about benefits. You can also apply for some benefits online or at a VA Benefits Office, which you can also locate on the website. You can appoint an attorney, claim agent or veterans’ service officer to act on your behalf in the preparation, presentation and prosecution of claims for VA benefits. Benefits eligibility can be complicated, so skilled help can make a big difference.