- 2011 Council members have lived the boomer experience and are widely recognized in many fields. This year’s discussion will focus on the entertainment industry. Producers Ken Burns and Suzanne de Passe, TV Land / Nick at Night President Larry Jones, composer and music marketing guru Tena Clark, and professor Leonard Steinhorn, author of The Greater Generation: In Defense of the Baby Boom Legacy will take part in this historic and unprecedented conversation.
AARP Celebrates Movies For Grownups—Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2:15pm – 4:15pm)
AARP University Workshops (2:00pm – 3:00pm)
- Be a Writer and Get Published
- Volunteer Abroad: Explore, Serve, and Learn
- Rx Drugs: Why Do My Meds Cost So Much
- Don’t Get Tricked, Treat Yourself to Consumer Tips
- Find Your Voice: Two Effective Grassroots Strategies
- The Best Is Yet To Come: Later Life Creativity
- Scrapbooking: Making Memories
- Keep in Step with Your Grandchildren
- Write a Winning Resume and Find Your Next Job Online
- Cyber Safety: Staying Safe on the Internet
- Job Hunting After 50: Ace the Interview
- Photo Fun: How To Take Better Photos
Lifestyle Sessions (2:30pm – 3:30pm)
- Interfaith Dialogue: Building Bridges Between Islam and Judaism – Ambassador Akbar Ahmed, the Ibn Khaldun Chair of Islamic Studies, American University, Washington, DC, is “the world’s leading authority on contemporary Islam” according to the BBC. As the former High Commissioner of Pakistan to Great Britain, he has advised Prince Charles and met with President George W. Bush on Islam. Hillel Levine is a stirring speaker and writer, inspiring popular audiences and influencing “movers and shakers.” His research provided the basis for an Oscar- winning documentary and a feature-length dramatization.
- See You In Boston — Ron Della Chiesa has been a music historian and broadcasting legend at Boston’s WGBH radio for 35 years. Kevin Panetta, from the Greater Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau, has been selected by Meetings & Conventions Magazine as “One of Five Elite Convention & Visitors Bureaus in the Country”. They preview next year’s Life@50+ in Boston, September 6th – 8th, 2007.
AARP University Sessions (2:30pm – 3:30pm)
- Health and Medicine: The Wise Use of Prescription Drugs
- Retirement Security: Putting the Pieces Together
- AARP and California: A Shared History
- Scam Proof Your Life
See You In Boston Party (3:00pm – 4:00pm)
Feature Session (4:00pm – 5:00pm)
- The Advocacy of Life — Ruby Dee has been a long-time star of the stage and screen. A member of the American Negro Theatre, she is known for such stage and film performances as Ruthie in A Raisin in the Sun opposite Sidney Poitier and Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing. Dee and husband Ossie Davis are recipients of the National Medal of Arts Award bestowed at The White House by President and Mrs. Clinton in 1995.
Saturday Night’s Alright!: Elton John (7:30pm – 9:30pm)
AARP After Dark Lounge featuring Silver Stars (10:00pm – 1:00am)