Javascript is not enabled.

Javascript must be enabled to use this site. Please enable Javascript in your browser and try again.

Skip to content
Content starts here
Leaving Website

You are now leaving and going to a website that is not operated by AARP. A different privacy policy and terms of service will apply.

Can non-U.S. citizens receive Social Security benefits?

I Live in the U.S. but I’m Not a Citizen, Can I Collect Social Security?

Yes, provided they are in the United States legally or, if living abroad, meet the criteria outlined below. 

Noncitizens living in the United States may be eligible for Social Security if they: 

  • are permanent legal residents;
  • have visas that allow them to work in the United States;
  • or were allowed in the country under the Family Unity or Immediate Relative provisions of U.S. immigration law.
spinner image Image Alt Attribute

AARP Membership— $12 for your first year when you sign up for Automatic Renewal

Get instant access to members-only products and hundreds of discounts, a free second membership, and a subscription to AARP the Magazine.

Join Now

Undocumented immigrants who fall under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program — that is, people who were brought into the country illegally when they were minors — can get Social Security numbers, but the oldest DACA recipients will not reach the eligibility age for retirement benefits until the 2040s.

Some undocumented immigrants do obtain fake Social Security numbers, or use lapsed or stolen ones, to get jobs. They pay billions of dollars a year into the Social Security system via FICA tax withholding, according to a Social Security report, but they rarely receive any benefits. Most of the money ends up in the trust funds from which Social Security benefits are paid.

Noncitizens living abroad may qualify for Social Security if they worked at some point in the United States and accrued sufficient Social Security credits. A noncitizen who married an American living abroad, and who meets the normal criteria for spousal or survivor benefits, may be eligible for these payments if he or she: 

  • is a citizen or resident of a country with which the United States has a Social Security agreement;
  • lived in the United States for at least five years with the American spouse (the five years need not have been continuous); 
  • or was married to someone who died during U.S. military service.

Keep in mind

The regulations on Social Security benefits for people living abroad are lengthy and complex. If you have questions about your status, it’s always a good idea to contact Social Security and speak to a representative. You can also get information and help from Social Security’s publication "Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States" and its screening tool for international payments.

Discover AARP Members Only Access

Join AARP to Continue

Already a Member?