Public parks are important places for building a sense of community and social belonging. They are spaces that belong to everyone, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, religion or income.
However, the way parks are designed, maintained and programmed doesn’t always reflect the purpose and promise of such uniquely public spaces. Pinched for funds by competing priorities, many municipalities neglect their park networks or fail to invest in these vital places as their communities grow and change.
With the publication of Creating Parks and Public Places for People of All Ages: A Step-by-Step Guide, AARP Livable Communities, 8 80 Cities and The Trust for Public Land have come together to highlight the importance of parks — and give community leaders (and park advocates from all corners) tools they can use to both create and improve green spaces and public places for people of all ages.
DOWNLOAD THE PARKS GUIDE PDF:
ORDER THE FREE PAPERBACK EDITION:
1. Email Livable@AARP.org * with the subject line: Parks Guide
2. In the email body, include:
- Your First and Last Name
- Street Address
- Town/City, State, Zip Code
- Publication Number D20447
* We can send one copy per request. Bulk orders will be considered. If seeking additional copies please explain why and identify the organization you are representing, if any. Allow up to 4 weeks for delivery. Please email questions to Livable@AARP.org.
Page published September 2018