Members of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly States and Communities commit to an assessment process and cycle of continuous improvement.
Conduct a Survey and Listening Sessions
Develop an Action and Evaluation Plan
This phase features the following key elements:
- Establish a way — such as through a commission, advisory panel or focus groups — to include older residents in all stages of the age-friendly planning and implementation process
- Conduct a community needs assessment (AARP can provide survey examples, templates and an online tool in English and Spanish)
- Develop an action and evaluation plan based on the assessment results
- Submit the plan for review by AARP
Examples of action plans can be found within The Member List.
Action planning guidance can be found on the Age-Friendly Resources page.
Implement and work toward the goals of the plan and share solutions, successes and best practices with AARP. Examples of progress reports can be found within The Member List.
Evaluate and Update
Assess the plan’s impact and submit progress reports — and then start again by setting new goals.
- Return to the AARP Network of Age-Friendly States and Communities home page
- Find Age-Friendly Resources
Page updated: February 2020