After driving, walking is the most popular mode of transportation in the United States. However, in many towns, cities and neighborhoods, the only way to get around is by car because walking is just too dangerous.
The AARP Walk Audit Tool Kit can help individuals, groups and local leaders assess the walkability of the sidewalks and streets in their community.
The AARP Walk Audit Tool Kit Leader Guide describes how to plan for and manage a larger-scale community walk audit and workshop event.
- The walk audit guides provide step-by-step instructions and checklists for examining intersections, sidewalks, driver behavior, public safety and more.
- Since the walk audit survey is user-directed, it can take as little or as much time as desired by, say, spending 15 minutes at one busy corner or devoting several hours to documenting several roadways in a neighborhood.
- The documented results can be shared with elected officials and other local leaders when advocating for such safe streets features as sidewalks, crosswalks and properly timed traffic lights.
Get the Guides
ORDER THE PRINTED PUBLICATION(S)
- Use our Online Order Form or
- Email Livable@AARP.org your Name, Mailing Address and the "D" number of the free guide or guides you're ordering: AARP Walk Audit Tool Kit (D20381) and AARP Walk Audit Tool Kit Leader Guide (D20382)
(We can send one free copy of each guide per request. If seeking additional copies please explain why and identify the organization you are representing, if any.)
Guides published 2016 | Page updated July 2020
Enter a topic, name, place, etc.