Veterans and active service members are eligible for a variety of deals and discounts during the month of November, particularly on Veterans Day, Wednesday, Nov. 11. While some offers from years past aren't available in 2020 due to the pandemic, many businesses are still extending perks to military personnel. Follow the guidance of federal and local health authorities related to coronavirus safety as you weigh taking advantage of any of these offers.
Here are details about the Veterans Day freebies, deals and savings available to vets and active members of the military in 2020. Note that valid identification is often required to receive an offer.
- Applebee's: Service members and veterans can receive a free meal (dine-in only) at participating locations on Veterans Day.
- Bar Louie: Active and retired military can order a free craft burger or flatbread on Veterans Day while dining in.
- Bob Evans: Veterans and service members can enjoy a free entrée (dine-in only) from a select menu on Nov. 11.
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.: Military personnel and their families who dine in can receive 20 percent off on Nov. 11.
- Chili's: Veterans and active military can enjoy a free entrée from a list of seven options while dining in on Nov. 11.
- Cracker Barrel: Veterans and active-duty military dining in can receive a free slice of double chocolate fudge Coca-Cola cake on Nov. 11.
- Denny's: All active, nonactive and retired military personnel can order a free Grand Slam breakfast, dine-in only, on Nov. 11 from 5 a.m. to noon.
- Golden Corral: All current and former members of the military can pick up a promotional card during November for a free meal that is redeemable for dine-in Monday through Thursday until May 31, 2021.
- McCormick & Schmick's: Veterans, military, National Guard, Gold Star parents and spouses dining in can receive 50 percent off an entrée on Nov. 8.
- Red Lobster: Veterans, active-duty military and reservists dining in can receive a free appetizer or dessert on Nov. 11.
- Red Robin: Veterans and active military who are Red Robin Royalty members can order a free Tavern Double burger with steak fries any time between Nov. 12 and 30 for either dine-in or to-go. The Royalty program is free to join.
- Starbucks: Veterans, military members and spouses can order a free tall hot brewed coffee on Nov. 11 at participating locations.
- Bed Bath & Beyond: Veterans, active military and their spouses can receive a 25 percent discount on in-store purchases between Nov. 9 and 11.
- HyVee: Many of the grocer's stores offer a free breakfast buffet on Nov. 11 to veterans and active-duty military members.
- OfficeMax: Veterans and military members can take 25 percent off regular and sale-priced purchases in-store only Nov. 11 to 13.
- Publix: Veterans and their families can save 10 percent on select groceries purchased in-store only on Nov. 11.
- Rack Room Shoes: U.S. military personnel and their families can receive a 20 percent discount on entire in-store purchases on Veterans Day; every Tuesday, the military discount is 10 percent.
- Target: A 10 percent military discount is available for active-duty military personnel, veterans and their families on most purchases in-store and online from Nov. 1 to 11. Verify eligibility and receive coupon here.
- Walgreens: Veterans, military and their families can take 20 percent off select regular-priced items with a Walgreens reward card Nov. 11-15.
- Great Clips: On Veterans Day, active and retired military members who visit a salon can receive a free haircut or a card to redeem for a free cut by Dec. 11.
- Sports Clips: Many locations offer free haircuts on Nov. 11 to veterans and active-duty service members.
- 9/11 Museum in New York City: From Nov. 7 to Nov. 14 veterans receive free admission and half-price tickets for up to three guests. Advance registration is encouraged. Alternatively, a free virtual tour will be held on Veterans Day at 11 a.m. ET for military and veterans only. RSVP by email to email@example.com.
- Army Corps of Engineers Recreation Areas: No fees on Veterans Day at its 2,800 recreation areas nationwide. Find the one closest to you.
- B&B for Vets: Participating inns are offering one free room on Tuesday, Nov. 10, for military families to enjoy the holiday.
- Harley-Davidson Museum in Milwaukee: On Nov. 11 and 12 the museum will offer free entry for all active-duty or retired military members, one additional adult and up to four children.
- Jefferson Lines: All current and former military members can travel for free on the bus service on Nov. 11. Tickets must be obtained in person at any corporate location.
- Legoland Florida Resort: Veterans, non-active military and their families can receive discounted tickets and lower rates at Legoland resort hotels. Active-duty military can receive free admission to the resort and water park.
- Monticello, Virginia: U.S. military veterans can enter Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's historic home and gardens, for free on Veterans Day. (Admission is free for active-duty military year-round.)
- Mount Vernon, Virginia: On Veterans Day, all military members and veterans get free entry to George Washington's home on the Potomac River.
- National Parks: All national parks offer free admission for all on Veterans Day. Many historic sites are also served by the National Park Service.
- Oklahoma City Zoo: In November, the zoo offers free admission to all active-duty and retired military and 50 percent off for up to 4 guests.
- San Antonio Zoo in Texas: In November, the zoo will offer free admission to all military members, active or retired. Up to four immediate family members can receive 50 percent off admission.
- Zoo Atlanta: Active-duty and retired military can enjoy free admission on Veterans Day and $4 off per ticket for up to six guests.