En español | Check out these resources for help in choosing the right housing and care solution for your loved ones – whether at home or in a facility.
- Choosing a place to call home: Consider these caregiving questions when making any decision regarding elder housing.
- Adult day services: A checklist to aid in your search - When looking into adult day services, it is important to find a program and location that meet both you and your loved ones needs.
- Assisted living: Weighing the options: If assisted living sounds like the right choice for your loved one, here are some steps to help begin your search.
- About Continuing Care Retirement Communities: When your parent or loved one decides they’re ready to move from the family home, Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) may be worth considering.
- Making a home fit for people with ability needs: Simple home modifications can make a home more user-friendly and livable for people who have difficulties with vision, strength or getting around.
- Home modifications to promote independent living: As Boomers age, there’s a strong desire to age in place in the comfort of their current home; however, many find that their homes are below livable standards for day-to-day accessibility.
- Hiring someone to help with home care: Before you hire a home health aide or other paid caregiver, find out about the kinds of home care, costs and questions to ask.
- Medicare and home health care (PDF): Medicare pays for certain care deemed medically necessary for up to 60 days. If eligible, you can use Medicare for home health benefits.
- Alzheimer’s Association Carefinder: Get information and resources on planning ahead, care options, and coordinating care.
- Home Health Care Compare: This tool provides information on how well home health agencies in your area care for their patients.
- Lotsa Helping Hands: Coordinate rides and other services for your loved one using a group calendar that only family, friends, and volunteers can access.
- Meals on Wheels Association of America: Find a center to provide home-delivered, nutritious meals to your loved one.
- National Adult Day Services Association, Inc.: Get the facts on adult day services and find a location in your area.
- National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers: Find a local care manager, and learn more about geriatric care.
- National Association of Social Workers: Find resources and tip sheets for caregivers, as well as a directory of social workers who specialize in working with older persons and their caregivers.
- National Respite Locator Service: Search for local respite services including programs that specialize in conditions such as Alzheimer’s, epilepsy, and autism.
- Share the Care: Share caregiving advice and stories, and learn how to organize a group for a loved one.