In many states the discounts are mandatory, so car insurance companies must offer insurance discounts to people completing a classroom-based, state-approved driver-improvement course. Discounts may vary based on the participant's age, driving record and other factors, and all participants are encouraged to check with their insurance agent before completing the AARP Smart Driver course.
- The 35 locations are Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico*, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming along with the District of Columbia.
Additionally, 23 states and the District of Columbia require automobile insurance companies to offer insurance discounts to people completing a state-approved driver-improvement course that is conducted online.
- The 23 states are Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington along with the District of Columbia.**
In the states where auto insurance premium discounts are not mandated, several insurance companies voluntarily provide premium discounts to participants completing the AARP Smart Driver course.
*The State of New Mexico prohibits AARP from offering the course to participants under the age of 50. In other states, participants of all ages can take the AARP Smart Driver course and may receive an insurance discount upon course completion.
**In some states, separate rules apply to online driver-improvement courses (as opposed to courses being completed in a classroom setting). Check with your insurance company or agent before taking an online course to find out whether you would be eligible for a discount.
More About Safe Driving
- Why take a driver safety course?
- 12 tips for making sure you and your car are a good fit
- Free online seminar: Learn how to have an effective conversation about taking away the keys with We Need to Talk