Livable CommunitiesAARP Public Policy Institute
AARP seeks to improve older adults’ quality of life by promoting the development of safe, accessible and vibrant environments often called livable communities. Livable communities policies address issues such as land use, housing, transportation and broadband — all of which facilitate aging in place.
The Livability Index scores communities across the U.S. for the features, services and amenities that impact your life the most.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) provides new funding opportunities for specialized transportation services.
The availability, affordability and variety of housing options is inextricably connected to the overall quality of life in a community.
PPI has several upcoming events and conferences that will be highlighting the recently released Livability Index.
Healthy Aging Congressional Briefing
Where: Cannon House Office Bldg., Room 122, Washington, DC
When: June 16, 2015, 12:30 PM
AARP Presenter: Jana Lynott
Topic: The AARP Livability Index: A Tool for Health Neighborhoods for All Ages
Much of the work of the Public Policy Institute’s Livable Communities team is crosscutting in nature, covering the topics of land use, transportation and housing under a single title. It also includes emerging work on the linkage between health and community environments.
PPI Staff Radio Interviews
- Radio station KSKQ interviews PPI’s Jana Lynott, Bandana Shresthra, Community Outreach Director for the Oregon State Office and Don Bruland, active AARP volunteer for its Age of Adventure series where they talk about creating livable communities, the AARP Livability Index and Oregon’s new Lifelong Housing Certification program . The program begins at about minute mark 1 after advertising and music. https://archive.org/details/AOA2015927Archive
- Jefferson Public Radio interviews PPI’s Jana Lynott for the Jefferson Exchange where she talks about Livability and Mobility. http://ijpr.org/post/livability-and-mobility-aging-america#stream/0
- AARP Livable Communities at AARP.org/livable
- AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities
- AARP Public Public Policy Institute (PPI): Livable Communities
- AARP Research: Livable Communities
Our Tools, Publications and Social Media
Search Public Policy
Find the content you are looking for by entering in search terms below.
How livable is your community?