Maybe Hispanics are happier with sex because they’re happier with life. AARP’s survey found that Hispanics 45+ have a much more positive outlook on life as compared to other people in the United States of similar ages. So what can Hispanics teach them about enjoying life?
1. Learn to live well with less. Many of the older Hispanic people living the United States were born in poor societies that lack basic necessities, says José R. Pando, Ph.D., a clinical psychologist and AASECT-certified sex therapist in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico. “This may have prepared them to confront bad times with a lesser sense of instability.”
2. Don’t go it alone. Your family and friends are the most precious resources you have, so give them attention and make them the greatest priority in your life. You’ll draw on their support during rocky times, just as they’ll turn to you.
3. If you don’t attend church, spending a little more time practicing your faith (or finding one) probably won’t kill you. And believing that “God always provides” can be a big help when provisions are hard to come by, says Pando.
4. “Give yourself permission to enjoy sensuality in all aspects of life,” says Madeleine M. Castellanos, M.D., a New York City psychiatrist who specializes in sexuality. “Sumptuous food, a nice piece of fabric on your skin, a nice bath, music, dancing—you can find sensuality in everything.”
5. Strive to be more existential. “Live for today,” advises Pando. That doesn’t mean maxing out your credit cards, but rather enjoying the moments that each day offers you.