Skip to content

How do I know when I can no longer keep my loved one safe at home?

En español | Look closely at your loved one’s mental, physical, environmental and financial conditions.
Families can conduct assessments or hire an experienced professional. Some hospitals and clinics offer geriatric assessment centers or evaluation units where medical or social work teams look at all aspects of an older person’s health and life. Individual geriatric care managers, also called case managers, provide similar services. Check with your agency on aging for information about locating professionals who can help you.

Professional assessments can take a few hours to several days and vary depending on the level of care needed. All assessments should include a thorough review of your loved one’s physical and mental health, medication, daily routine, home and community safety, support system, appearance and hygiene, finances, and personal interests. 

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.

Need more personalized information?

Answer three quick caregiving questions.

Looks like you’ve started the questionnaire but didn’t finish.

Would you like to start over?

View your caregiving results