Skip to content

How can I find someone to help care for my family member/friend at home?

En español | Various agencies can help connect you with skilled care (a health care professional, such as a nurse or therapist) or personal care (a home health aide or attendant) for assistance with bathing, grooming or other tasks:

1) Medicare-certified home health agency — provides skilled services approved by Medicare and Medicaid and is licensed by the state.

2) Licensed home care agency — offers nursing and personal care services.

3) Nonmedical or companion agency — provides home helper services, companion services and errand services. These agencies are not licensed and frequently are small, locally run businesses that are franchises of large, national companies.

4) Employment or registry agency — gives lists of available nurses and aides you can contact and pay directly.

The Eldercare Locator has a free, confidential online tool that can connect you to agencies and services.

Join the Discussion

0 %{widget}% | Add Yours

You must be logged in to leave a comment.

Need more personalized information?

Answer three quick caregiving questions.

Looks like you’ve started the questionnaire but didn’t finish.

Would you like to start over?

View your caregiving results