Crash Course in Estate Planning
The Essential Guide to Wills, Trusts, and Your Personal Legacy
In the AARP Crash Course in Estate Planning: The Essential Guide to Wills, Trusts, and Your Personal Legacy, lawyer Michael Palermo expertly steers novices through the estate-planning wilderness.
In plain, easy-to-understand English, Palermo explains everything you need to know about:
- Wills and the probate process
- The pros and cons of living trusts
- Taxes and how to pay less
- Naming a guardian for your minor children
- Living wills and other advance medical directives
- Marshaling and protecting retirement assets
- Ideas for keeping your money "all in the family" in the event a spouse remarries
Palermo tells us why this topic is too important for would-be "do-it-yourselfers" and urges readers to consult an estate-planning lawyer before taking official steps. Bone up on the bevy of rules and tools presented here and you'll be able to work intelligently with an attorney. The result: an estate plan that best suits you and those you leave behind.
With a foreword by consumer finance guru Ric Edleman and a handy glossary of terms, the AARP Crash Course in Estate Planning offers expertise you can trust.