Alert
Close

Watch the NASCAR race on Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway. Join the Drive to End Hunger!

Why Men Should Date Women Their Own Age

Compatibility, emotional maturity — and, yes, great fun — are just a few of the reasons

For a Perfect Date, Find a Boomer Woman

I’ve deliberately dated women close to my age for the past 15 years, and I believe boomer women make ideal dates, and mates, for boomer guys. Among the reasons:

Getty Images

Boomer Women Are Fun

I was reminded of this the night my date showed me an old photo with her in a tie-dyed T-shirt and frizzy brown hair, piled high and shooting in all directions. We giggled ourselves silly about our flower-powered pasts. It was the most enjoyable date I’d had in a long time — and it drove home the fact that when it comes to later-life dating, “Fun Is Job 1.”

Juice Images / Alamy

Boomer Women Are Strong

Boomer women have been through a lot. Many have taken a stand, marched for a cause, written letters to the editor or columns in print or online, demanded equality in the bedroom and stormed workplace barriers that blocked their economic progress. Being able to draw on that hard-won inner strength in a relationship makes them rock-solid partners in every way.

Getty Images

Boomer Women Know How to Cope

Many women have raised great kids, job-hopped to make ends meet, volunteered in their communities, gone back to school and kept up long-standing friendships. No wonder they don’t cut and run at the first sign of trouble in a relationship! Grit, pith, character — call it what you like, these experiences make your dinner partner unlikely to run out of lively stories any time soon.

Getty Images

You Can Trust Boomer Women With Your Life

Nearly every boomer woman I’ve dated for more than one night has confessed “reporting back to base” — that is, to her tight-knit web of female friends — on the success of our outings. The trust and emotional-intimacy skills that a woman develops via her female friendships often prove transferable to her relationship with a guy. I wish every boomer guy could experience how sweet it is to be involved with a woman who’s not just your lover but also your best friend.

Getty Images

Boomer Women Can Afford to Be Selective

Advances in earning power have freed boomer women from worrying about a man’s net worth. Most guys see this as a great leap forward: We needn’t “save” a woman to win her heart, while she can choose a man from love, not economic necessity.

Getty Images

Time Is on Their Side

Both parties must invest time in a relationship if it is to thrive. That commodity is scarce to nonexistent in a woman’s child-rearing years, but it tends to reappear once she has successfully fledged her children. That means she (finally!) has the time required to devote to a relationship — and to you.

Ken Solin writes about dating for AARP.

Getty Images

View More Slideshows

See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more

Join AARP Today — Receive access to exclusive information, benefits and discounts

Getty Images

• Pinterest
  • Google+

En español | The two questions that women over 50 ask me most frequently on a date are:

1. "Why don't men your age date women their age?"
  2. "Are you still sexual?"

I have a lot to say about that second question, but that's another story. Besides, I feel even more strongly about the first.

Also of Interest

See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more

Join AARP Today — Receive access to exclusive information, benefits and discounts

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts

Processing

Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

1-800flowers.com (1-800flowers.com)

Members save 20% or $20 on purchases of $79.99  from
Fruitbouquets.com.

Collette Vacations

Members save up to $200 per couple on select tours with Collette Vacations.

Live Nation

Members save 25% or more when buying tickets in groups of four from Ticketmaster.

Member Benefits

Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.