Skip to content

Dating & Relationships

Why Men Should Date Women Their Own Age

Compatibility, emotional maturity — and, yes, great fun — are just a few of the reasons

• Why Men Should Date Boomer Women Find
    Getty Images

For a Perfect Date, Find a Boomer Woman

I was reminded of this the night my date showed me an old photo with her in a tie-dyed T-shirt and frizzy brown hair, piled high and shooting in all directions. We giggled ourselves silly about our flower-powered pasts. It was the most enjoyable date I’d had in a long time — and it drove home the fact that when it comes to later-life dating, “Fun Is Job 1.”

1 of 9
  • Why Men Should Date Boomer Women Fun
    Juice Images / Alamy

Boomer Women Are Fun

Nearly every boomer woman I’ve dated for more than one night has confessed “reporting back to base” — that is, to her tight-knit web of female friends — on the success of our outings. The trust and emotional-intimacy skills that a woman develops via her female friendships often prove transferable to her relationship with a guy. I wish every boomer guy could experience how sweet it is to be involved with a woman who’s not just your lover but also your best friend.

2 of 9
  • Why Men Should Date Boomer Women Strong
    Getty Images
    3 of 9
  • Get connected, stay connected

AARP Offer: Get and Stay Connected

I’ve deliberately dated women close to my age for the past 15 years, and I believe boomer women make ideal dates, and mates, for boomer guys. Among the reasons:

4 of 9
  • Why Men Should Date Boomer Women Cope
    Getty Images

Boomer Women Know How to Cope

I’ve deliberately dated women close to my age for the past 15 years, and I believe boomer women make ideal dates, and mates, for boomer guys. Among the reasons:

5 of 9
  • Why Men Should Date Boomer Women Trust
    Getty Images

You Can Trust Boomer Women With Your Life

I was reminded of this the night my date showed me an old photo with her in a tie-dyed T-shirt and frizzy brown hair, piled high and shooting in all directions. We giggled ourselves silly about our flower-powered pasts. It was the most enjoyable date I’d had in a long time — and it drove home the fact that when it comes to later-life dating, “Fun Is Job 1.”

6 of 9
  • Why Men Should Date Boomer Women Selective
    Getty Images

Boomer Women Can Afford to Be Selective

7 of 9
  • Why Men Should Date Boomer Women Time
    Getty Images

Time Is on Their Side

8 of 9
  • Health endslide

View More Slideshows

9 of 9

En español | The two questions that women over 50 ask me most frequently on a date are:

1. "Why don't men your age date women their age?"
  2. "Are you still sexual?"

I have a lot to say about that second question, but that's another story. Besides, I feel even more strongly about the first.

Also of Interest

See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more

Save Money - Get AARP member discounts on travel, shopping and more

Join AARP Today — Receive access to exclusive information, benefits and discounts