Research & Insights
The Longevity Economy
A powerful new force is changing the face of America. It is composed of 106 million people responsible for at least $7.1 trillion in annual economic activity — a figure that is expected to reach well over $13.5 trillion in real terms by 2032. This is the Longevity Economy, representing the sum of all economic activity serving the needs of Americans over 50, including both the products and services they purchase directly and the further economic activity this spending generates. Why are innovators, companies and investors not looking to this huge growth market? What are the needs and wants of the 50-plus?
Health innovation frontiers represent a vast and under-addressed market opportunity. Breakthrough technologies, innovative services and disruptive business models will benefit more than 100 million people 50-plus and represent $20 billion in revenue by 2018.
- Top 12 Most Active Investors in the Digital Health 50+ Market (PDF)
In recent years, many of the most influential investors in venture capital have placed significant bets on digital health and in the 50-plus market specifically. This report highlights the 12 most active investors in the digital health 50-plus market over the last year (through April 2014) and looks at investment trends in the nine categories of health that make up the 50-plus market.
- Digital Health Insights 2013 Annual Report for the 50+ Market (PDF)
This report, published by StartUp Health and AARP, tracks and reports on early stage investment in digital health solutions for the 50-plus market. It highlights the encouraging rise in health innovation targeted at addressing a growing population with increased medical needs. The total digital health and wellness industry has rapidly expanded from $999 million in 2010 to $2.82 billion by the end of 2013 with a 4-times increase in deal count. The report found that the annual total funding in the 50-plus digital health and wellness space has kept pace with growth in the overall market accounting consistently for greater than 40 percent of funding and deals between 2010 and 2013. Funding in the 50-plus digital health and wellness market rose from $425 million in 2010 to $1.15 billion in 2013.
Health Innovation Frontiers
In 2013, AARP and Parks associates identified a rare, untapped opportunity to generate revenues for entrepreneurs, investors and others in the private sector to generate revenues while meeting the greatest wants and needs of a substantial, influential and important population: people 50 and over. Updated in 2014 with new revenue and market forecasts as well as ground breaking market landscapes, this research finds that it is an opportunity that could, within five years, generate $30 billion in additional revenues for entrepreneurs and investors while having a significant impact on the lives of 100 million people.
50+ Consumer Electronics
AARP has sponsored research with the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)* to spotlight the technology needs and wants of people age 50 and over.
- Consumer Electronics Recycling and Reuse (PDF)
- Consumer Perspective on Home Automation (PDF)
- Digital Imaging, Photo Sharing and Printing (PDF)
- Evolving Video Landscape (PDF)
- Eye on Emerging Technology: Text-to-Voice (PDF)
- Eye on Emerging Technology: Video Chat (PDF)
- Eye on Emerging Technology: Voice Control (PDF)
- Eye on Emerging Technology: Voice-to-Text (PDF)
- Getting Connected with Fitness Technologies (PDF)
- Millennials: The New Face of Retail (PDF)
- 14th Annual Consumer Electronics Ownership and Market Potential (PDF)
- 19th Annual Consumer Electronics Holiday Purchase Pattern Study (PDF)
* Through a relationship with the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), AARP has sponsored custom analysis focusing on the needs and wants of the 50-plus community. This research and analysis has been conducted wholly by CEA. AARP was not involved in the gathering of data, analysis or production of the research or publication of the results. The results are presented here with permission of CEA.
Some content presented here is in Adobe PDF format. Get the free Acrobat Reader to view these files.
The 4th AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch will be held as part of the AARP Life@50+ National Event & Expo, Thursday, May 14, at the Miami Beach Convention Center. This is the premier showcase featuring the most exciting start-up companies in the 50-plus health technology and innovation sector.
AARP Innovation@50+ is proud to be a sponsor of the summit in Dana Point, Calif., April 29 to May 1. More than 500 of the most prominent business leaders from across health care services, IT and life science sectors will discuss critical issues facing the health industry today.
AARP Innovation@50+ is proud to be the Wi-Fi
and water station sponsor for VentureScape. Meet Jeffrey Makowka, director, AARP Thought Leadership, at the event in San Francisco,