Research & Insights
The Longevity Economy
A powerful new force is changing the face of America. It is composed of 106 million people responsible for at least $7.1 trillion in annual economic activity — a figure that is expected to reach well over $13.5 trillion in real terms by 2032. This is the Longevity Economy, representing the sum of all economic activity serving the needs of Americans over 50, including both the products and services they purchase directly and the further economic activity this spending generates. Why are innovators, companies and investors not looking to this huge growth market? What are the needs and wants of the 50-plus?
- The Longevity Economy: Generating New Growth & Opportunities for Businesses by Oxford Economics (PDF)
- What’s your 50+ Strategy? A New Investment Theme by Jody Holtzman, 2013 Venture Capital Review (PDF)
Health Innovation Frontiers
Rarely has such an untapped opportunity existed to generate revenues for entrepreneurs, investors and others in the private sector to generate revenues while meeting the greatest wants and needs of a substantial, influential and important population: people 50 and over. This research finds that it is an opportunity that could, within five years, generate $20 billion in additional revenues for entrepreneurs and investors while having a significant impact on the lives of 100 million people.
- Untapped Market Opportunities for the 50+ Infographics (PDF)
- Untapped Market Opportunities for the 50+ Full Report (PDF)
50+ Consumer Electronics
AARP has sponsored research with the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)* to spotlight the technology needs and wants of people age 50 and over.
- Consumer Electronics Recycling and Reuse (PDF)
- Consumer Perspective on Home Automation (PDF)
- Digital Imaging, Photo Sharing and Printing (PDF)
- Evolving Video Landscape (PDF)
- Eye on Emerging Technology: Text-to-Voice (PDF)
- Eye on Emerging Technology: Video Chat (PDF)
- Eye on Emerging Technology: Voice Control (PDF)
- Eye on Emerging Technology: Voice-to-Text (PDF)
- Getting Connected with Fitness Technologies (PDF)
- Millennials: The New Face of Retail (PDF)
- 14th Annual Consumer Electronics Ownership and Market Potential (PDF)
- 19th Annual Consumer Electronics Holiday Purchase Pattern Study (PDF)
* Through a relationship with the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), AARP has sponsored custom analysis focusing on the needs and wants of the 50-plus community. This research and analysis has been conducted wholly by CEA. AARP was not involved in the gathering of data, analysis or production of the research or publication of the results. The results are presented here with permission of CEA.
Content presented here is in Adobe PDF format. Get the free Acrobat Reader to view these files.